First fly-out weekend, a wonderful adventure

By Fred and Marilyn Bruinsma


“Great flying weather, friends and food.

Life doesn’t get any better,” remarked Don Jones sitting on the Queen’s Inn veranda in Gore Bay. Also enjoying that moment was Brenda Jones, Audrey and Steve Greenwell.

The weekend weather was absolutely perfect. Friday afternoon the planes left their home bases and flew to Killarney airport. Here we walked to the Killarney Mountain Lodge. At check-in there was an unusual sign, “This is a smoke-free and cell-free atmosphere. Please respect the quietness and wildlife setting of the Lodge.”

We went To our rooms and gathered outside on the porch. We decided to eat here and walk the boardwalk. We admired the huge yachts, fishing boats and small craft. Walking back we stopped at the Lodge’s Carousel Room where Andy Lowe sang the night away with songs from Elvis, Johnny Cash, Blue Rodeo and everything in between. A great way to end our first evening.

Saturday morning was full of sun and clear skies. After breakfast in the dining room we walked along the river and side streets taking in a garage sale, a fruit stand and an art gallery. On the wharf we decided to fly to Gore Bay for lunch.

After landing at Gore Bay, we fuelled up and tied down the aircraft. Robbie Colwell, airport manager, gave us the courtesy van. We drove to the Queen’s Inn, which Steve had booked, but it was closed until 4 pm. So we walked to the Racky Raccoon Café for lunch.

What a surprise! A chef from Nepal prepared Thai dishes for us. Back at the van, we chose to go to Kagawang. The first stop was the Chocolate Factory where we all bought sweets. There we visited a museum, a pottery gallery and a church with a ‘boat hull’ pulpit.

Afterwards we returned to the Queen’s Inn to check in. We all met on the upper veranda to relax before dinner. Back to the Racky Raccoon for more delicious Thai food.

With satisfied appetites we walked back to the Inn to spend the rest of the evening on the veranda.

Sunday was sunny. Our hosts Susan and Rob served a home cooked breakfast. We drove to the airport to return the van and untie the planes to fly to Stratford for COPA 69’s breakfast. There we met COPA 45 members Glynda and Don Matheson, Chris McCullough and Ann Rock. We returned home shortly after lunch.

Thanks Steve for organizing this weekend. Maybe we can organize another weekend in the near future.