Drones, UAV, UAS & RPAS
Unmanned Air Vehicle
As the national voice for general aviation in Canada, COPA keeping a close eye on the rapid development of UAV technology and actively seeking out ways of working with the UAV community and the regulator to ensure that Canadian skies can be shared by all users in a safe and effective manner.
Through MAGNES, provider of our COPA aircraft insurance, we are excited to offer UAV insurance to cover damage and liability for commercial UAV operators. For more information on how to sign up, visit: http://www.uavinsurance.ca/
If you operate a UAV, would you like “advance, promote and preserve the Canadian freedom to fly” that UAV? That’s our mission! So why not join COPA and learn all about general aviation and safely sharing our skies and enjoying our freedom.
We are also educating our own members on what it means to share the skies with UAVs and drones. Our webinar, produced with partnerships from AIG and Magnes Group, is available here
In partnership with Altex, we are working to educate members of the UAV community on the various regulations, requirements, and implications for drone operation in different classes of airspace. Click here to watch their video
Want to know more about where to learn to fly UAVs? Visit Unmanned Systems Canada’s website here
Current Regulation for recreational UAVs defined as model aircraft weighing up to 35 kg, you do not need permission but you should follow Safety Codes or guidelines: fly safely, don’t fly close to airports, etc… MAAC Safety Code for modellers http://www.maac.ca/en/safety_code.php and Transport Canada Safety Video1
In some circumstances, model aircraft are flying at a modellers Flying Club near or at airports under strict safety/operating rules and some Model Flying Clubs are declared in the Canada Flight Supplement.
CAR 602.45- No person shall fly a model aircraft or a kite or launch a model rocket or a rocket of a type used in a fireworks display into cloud or in a manner that is or is likely to be hazardous to aviation safety.
Canada Criminal Code- Section 77.c - Everyone who (c) causes damage to an aircraft in service that renders the aircraft incapable of flight or that is likely to endanger the safety of the aircraft in flight, …is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for life.
Current Regulation for non-recreational UAVs are under two exemptions**, depending on their weight classification***. The key words are “you must meet the safety conditions*” of this Exemption if you cannot then you need an SFOC and permission to fly.
*Safety Conditions requirement for non-recreational UAV
21. The pilot operating under this exemption shall operate a UAV at or below 300 feet above ground level (AGL).
22. The pilot conducting operations under this exemption shall only operate a UAV in Class G airspace.
23. The pilot operating under this exemption shall not operate a UAV over a forest fire area, or over any area that is located within five nautical miles of a forest fire area.
24. The pilot operating under this exemption shall not operate a UAV in airspace that has been restricted by the Minister under Section 5.1 of the Aeronautics Act.
25. The pilot operating under this exemption shall only operate a UAV at least five (5) nautical miles away from the centre of any aerodrome.
26. The pilot operating under this exemption shall only operate a UAV at least five (5) nautical miles from a built up area.
28. The pilot operating under this exemption shall not operate a UAV over an open-air assembly of persons.
**Non-recreational UAV exemption
***Non-recreational UAVs weight
-Weighs 2 kg or less and you can meet the safety conditions in the Transport Canada exemption for UAVs that weigh 2 kg or less, you don’t need permission to fly.
-Weighs between 2.1 kg and 25 kg and you can meet the safety conditions in the Transport Canada exemption for UAVs that weigh between 2.1 kg and 25 kg, you don’t need permission to fly. However, you must notify Transport Canada…
-Weighs more than 25 kg, you must apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate